Friday, June 23, 2017

Book Review: "English Lessons"

Andrea Lucado's memoir of the year she spent studying in Oxford is a thought-provoking collection of essays revealing the insights she gained while living in a different culture. Andrea grew up in the church, the daughter of a well-known pastor and author. Discovering and learning how to relate to people who saw no need for God or who had rejected Him outright challenged her beliefs and provided a powerful education outside of her classes.

I enjoyed the way Andrea presented her story. She simply shared her thoughts, weaving from one event to another and back, revealing connections that led to lessons learned. She was honest about her struggles and challenges, showing how God kept her heart and mind open both to Him and to the truth He was teaching through her experiences and through all of the people she met. I also enjoyed reading her comparisons of Texas life with English culture and how she learned to savor both.

I thank Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers for sending me a complimentary copy of English Lessons, so I could share my thoughts about it with you. I recommend this read to those who like learning through the lives of people who are willing to share their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment