Saturday, April 15, 2017

Book Review: "As Kingfishers Catch Fire"

I was so excited when Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers offered me this newest book by Eugene Peterson for review. I've read several of his books and always appreciate his fresh insights into God's Word.

I was especially delighted when I realized he wrote this book for those who preach and teach God's Word. In the introduction he explains, "When I prepare and preach a sermon, I need constant reminding that I am part of a company that has a rich and varied genealogy. I do not start from scratch. I do not make up something new." What he does, and what he's teaching his readers to do is "to enter into the biblical company of prototypical preachers and work out of the traditions they had developed under the guidance of the Holy Spirit."

As Kingfishers Catch Fire is a compilation of Peterson's sermons exploring the messages of seven biblical preachers: Moses, David, Isaiah, Solomon, Peter, Paul, and John of Patmos. For each of these men, he gives his readers an introduction and seven sermons. And as he does so, he reveals his own personal journey of learning to live the ways of God by studying His Word.

I recommend this book to anyone wishing to build on the foundation of God's Word in their own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment