Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Book Review: "Still Life"

While I enjoyed reading Dani Pettrey’s new book, Still Life, which is the second book in her Chesapeake Valor series, and am most definitely looking forward to read the third book, Blind Spot, to be released in October, I found Still Life a little challenging to read. Within this series, there are kinda/sorta eight main characters and Pettrey is juggling them all at once. I loved this when I was reading the first book, but it took me a while to remember who was who and then to keep them all straight as I began reading Still Life. The main focus of Still Life is on Avery Tate and Parker Mitchell, but the other characters, except one who is missing, all play a big role.

My other struggle was to follow all the story lines. As the book began, Avery and Tanner stumbled into a case that Declan then got an official call to work on. Avery invited Parker to help, too. But soon the team had to divide their time in order to work on another, more urgent case. At the same time, Kate was focused on finding the missing team member – and on convincing the team to not give up on him – while Parker remained determined to solve his former girlfriend’s murder.

While I plan to keep reading to learn what becomes of everyone and how each case is resolved, I sometimes felt, while reading Still Life, that there was just so much to take in that I didn’t know where to look. That said, I’m looking forward to reading the next book, but I may make a cheat sheet to remind me of who’s who before I start. I thank Bethany House Publishers for sending me a complimentary copy of this book, so I could share my thoughts with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment