Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Book Review: "The Newcomer"

Suzanne Woods Fisher's The Newcomer is the second book in her Amish Beginnings series. I love the setting of these novels: pre-Revolutionary War America, Penn's Woods. The first book brought the little community across the ocean from Germany. This book finds them attempting to settle their new land. To do so, however, they must overcome unexpected obstacles, endure life-threatening trials, and learn to get along with new neighbors, all without compromising their faith.

At times, the book made me anxious. Some of the problems these characters faced seemed hopeless! But there were moments of fun as well. I enjoyed Fisher's portrayal of Benjamin Franklin and his wife; she chose a great role for him to play in her book. I also enjoyed learning how the Amish ended up in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and about other faith groups attempting to settle in America, too.

If you enjoy Amish or historical fiction with a hint of romance thrown in, I recommend this book to you. Revell sent me a complimentary copy, so I could share my thoughts with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment