Saturday, November 26, 2016

Book Review: "Girl Talk"

I'm so happy I found this book! Girl Talk is a 52-week devotional for young teen girls. I hope my daughter will enjoy it. If you have a daughter in this age group, you'll want to check it out.

This devotional is more comprehensive than most, yet it's still easy to understand. Each starts with a Bible verse, followed by a story about a teenage girl. Daily journaling pages with prompts follow these. Each of the 52 devotionals ends with a prayer.

I love that the author, Lois Walfrid Johnson, encourages her readers to memorize the 52 Bible verses as they work their way through the book, pointing out the fact that by the end of a year, they'll have 52 messages from God secured in their heads for Him to remind them of as needed throughout their lives. Johnson also suggests that her readers find mentors to talk with about new ideas and lessons they want to apply. "Not every problem is suddenly solved," she writes, "but the right person can help you see what's happening from a different viewpoint. Instead of feeling alone, you know there's someone who wants the best for you."

Finally, Johnson tells her readers to share their thoughts with Jesus as they work through the book, to ask Him what He wants them to know and to tell Him what they need His help with. Girls who read this book will over the course of a year will develop the disciplines of Bible study, Scripture memory, fellowship with older believers, and prayer.

I thank Zonderkids for sending a complimentary copy to me. I'm happy to share my thoughts through this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment