Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Book Review: "The Blessing of Humility"

The Blessing of Humility came to me at just the right time. I really needed the message of this book. In fact, I’ll be putting it right back onto my to-read list. This isn’t something you read once and then you’re forever done. It’s something to practice daily.

In this book, his last, I believe, Jerry Bridges teaches humility through Jesus’ words in the Beatitudes. He begins by stressing the importance of humility in the Christian life. Then he teaches us how to practice it step-by-step, one powerful verse at a time.

I appreciated seeing the Beatitudes in this way. I also appreciated the comfort and encouragement Bridges provides. Humility is not an easy trait to integrate. In fact, without God’s Spirit’s help and the work and example of Jesus Christ, it’s impossible. It may be impossible to achieve perfectly in this life anyway, but Bridges encourages us to strive for excellence, to confess our failings as we become aware of them, and to keep on trusting in our Lord’s perfect faithfulness. The book is easy to understand and full of practical truth to apply.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for this honest review. I recommend you add it to your permanent library.

No comments:

Post a Comment