Monday, October 5, 2015

Book Review: "Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish"

When I see that a book is described as a daily devotional, I expect to find a book of short readings that start with a Bible verse, that are followed by a few paragraphs about a life experience or such with insights into the meaning of the verse, and that end with prayer or life application. The Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Daily Devotional is not like this.

In this daily devotional, each entry does start with a Bible verse as expected. The verses are usually followed by single paragraphs, sometimes two, that are related to adoption. The relationship between the chosen verse and paragraph is mostly unclear. The paragraphs about adoption give just enough insight to let the reader know that the author has a point to make, but fall short of making it clear. As I was reading, I kept thinking that I’d like to know more about what the author was talking about; she raised a lot of questions in my mind. But to find the answers, I’ll have to read another book. In fact, I’ll probably have to read the book the devotional is based on, Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew, because, after reading the devotional, I still don’t know what those twenty things are.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for this honest review. I can’t recommend it as a devotional or as a book with clear insights into the heart of an adopted child. Readers who’ve read the book this devotional is based on may find this devotional useful for quick reminders of what they learned from that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment