Thursday, October 15, 2015

Book Review: "The Photograph"

I think Beverly Lewis’s main character from The Photograph, Eva Esch, must be her sweetest yet. I so wanted a happily ever after ending for her! Recently orphaned, Eva lives with her two sisters, one younger and one older, in the home they grew up in. Her youngest older brother, though, has inherited the property and plans to move his family in. He says that one sister may stay to help his wife with their kids, but two must go. He suggests they find someone to marry—fast! But Eva doesn’t want to marry for any reason other than true love nor leave the candy shop her father built onto the house just for her. She truly is a damsel in distress.

Eva’s younger sister, Lily, complicates matters by running away during the night to embrace the Englisch life. Closer to Lily than anyone else in her family, Eva finds herself grieving yet another loss. She turns her heartbreak over to God, daily praying for Lily to find reason to return. God answers her prayer in a curious and unforeseeable way.

I loved reading this story, and I enjoyed the way Lewis brought back characters from a previous novel, The River, giving readers a little update though The Photograph stands alone. I thank Bethany House Publishers for sending me a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I recommend it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment