Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Book Review: "'Anne of Green Gables,' My Daughter & Me"

Believe it or not, I didn’t discover Anne of Green Gables until I was in my 30’s. As a child, I practically lived at our local library, asked the librarians for recommendations all the time. Yet somehow, I still missed all books by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

Once I did discover her books, though, I collected and read them all. So when I saw the title of Lorilee Craker’s new book, 'Anne of Green Gables,' My Daughter & Me, I requested it right away.

Like Anne and her author, Lorilee Craker was adopted. She also adopted her own daughter. The four are kindred spirits, and Lorilee tells us, throughout the book, of all the lessons they’ve learned along the way. I loved her sense of humor and subtle asides. I appreciated her unique perspective: from experience, she tells readers about both the longings of the orphan and the heart of the parent who adopts. I drank it all in and wanted to learn more. Craker wraps it all up by reminding us all that we have a loving, heavenly Father, more perfect than any other regardless of whatever we’ve experienced, who is waiting to adopt us into His family, to someday take us to our permanent heavenly home.

'Anne of Green Gables,' My Daughter & Me is honest, touching, educational, and fun. I recommend it to anyone with a love for the classic Montgomery book series or with a concern for those who feel lost, alone, and bereft in this world.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment