Sunday, August 9, 2015

Book Review: "Wild in the Hollow"

I’ve never met Amber Haines, but I know her well. As Emily Freeman asks on the back of the book, “How can a woman with a story so different from my own be telling my story too?”

Wild in the Hollow is Amber Haines’s story, her memoir, beautifully told in a style all her own. Some passages made me cringe, others made me cry. The final chapters inspired me—to celebrate life, to enjoy the gift of God, to reach out to others who hurt and find my hurts healed in the reaching. Those chapters cheered sheer triumph. I'm still celebrating!

Wild in the Hollow shows readers how life is a series of phases to overcome and learn from. Just as our children grow in and out of phases, God’s children do, too. He is patient with us as we learn. He nurtures, He parents, He gives us what we need. Each phase has its own beauty, its own pain, its own potential, and God uses it all, drawing us to Him, drawing us into His community. When we refuse to grow through a phase, we get stuck, but God stays there with us, waiting us out, ready to lead us on. And if ever we’re feeling unsatisfied with life, we’re probably desiring something other than Him. Our longings most likely mean we need more of Him. More of Him that we can share with others who long, too.

At least that was my takeaway. I’m glad Amber chose to share her story and that I had the privilege of reading it. I recommend this book.

I received a complimentary copy of Wild in the Hollow from the publisher in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment