Monday, July 6, 2015

Book Review: "The Wonder of You"

I feel like I’ve been to church! As I read the last 150 pages of Susan May Warren’s newest Christiansen Family novel, The Wonder of You, yesterday afternoon and evening, I kept pausing to pray about the truths contained in its pages, to praise God, to worship Him. I wasn’t praising Him for what He was doing in the lives of a few fictional characters but for what He has done, is doing, and will do in mine. Warren did a beautiful job of showing God’s true nature to her readers through a fictional story. In my mind, that’s what Christian fiction is all about.

This fifth book in the series focuses on Amelia, the youngest of the Christiansen siblings, but it’s also a sequel to Grace and Max’s story, told in When I Fall in Love, and a prequel to the final book, You’re the One That I Want, due out in Spring of 2016. (I’m looking forward to that!) In the previous book, Always on My Mind, Amelia had come home from Europe with a broken heart. When the boyfriend who jilted on her showed up on her doorstep, her overly protective family of hockey-playing brothers and brother-in-laws practically sent him running for his life. Now he’s back in Deep Haven, determined to stay, determined to win Amelia’s heart, no matter what. Seth, her high school sweetheart, has his own opinion about that.

I loved watching Amelia struggle to discover God’s path for her life. I found Max’s growing understanding about his own condition profound. Roark’s discovery of a lie he’d chosen to believe and the truth he needed to replace it with was one the whole world needs to hear. John and Ingrid were inspirational as they patiently mentored the young adults in their growing clan.

If you haven’t yet discovered this series, it’s one of my favorites, so I’m happy to recommend it to you. You’ll want to start at the beginning, though, to get to know each character in turn. If you’ve been reading this series, you’ll love this newest book. Of the five so far, I think it’s the best, though I’ve enjoyed each one.

I thank Tyndale House Publishers for sending me a complimentary copy in exchange for this honest review.

2 comments:

  1. now if i can only sit still LONG ENOUGH to even read a real book :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good read, Janet. Thanks for recommending the book.

    ReplyDelete