Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Book Review: "Refining Fire"

Like the first book in this series, Steadfast Heart, Refining Fire tells the story of one of the minor characters while continuing, and pretty much focusing on, the story of Abrianna Cunningham, the star of the series. In this book, though, it worked. I don't know if that is because I was expecting it or because I especially liked the story. As I had hoped, Tracie Peterson chose to tell readers more about Militine Scott and Thane Patton in this book. Militine wasn't who she was portraying herself to be in her minor role in Steadfast Heart; Peterson did a beautiful job of showing readers how and why people can be dramatically different on the inside--and why it's often worth it, for both parties, to patiently urge someone to reveal their true self. Thane was just the person to do this for Militine.

And Wade is just the person for Abrianna. I can't wait to read the conclusion of their story in Peterson's next book, Love Everlasting, due out later this year!

Along with lovable characters (Abrianna's aunts) in a quirky setting (a bridal school in Seattle), Peterson gives readers a healthy dose of history. I liked learning about fire departments in the late 1800's, their struggles, community resolution attempts, and a few of our nation's tragic events. Abrianna's efforts to care for the poor contrasted with criminals attempting to take advantage of them show that some things are the same in every era. Our problems are not unique. We share many struggles with people of the past.

Refining Fire has a lot to offer its readers. I thank Bethany House Publishers for sending a complimentary copy to me in exchange for this review. I recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. I think reading the first book probably would add to the enjoyment of this one as I found it frustrating that the back of this book's description said the story was about Militine and Thane, and didn't even mention Abrianna, and yet to me it felt like the story was totally hijacked by Abrianna. I'm going to put the first on hold at the library right now! Thanks for the review so that I knew to do that! I really like Tracy Peterson as an author and maybe that will change my view about this story a bit!

    ReplyDelete