Monday, July 13, 2015

Book Review: "Among the Fair Magnolias"

Among the Fair Magnolias is a collection of four short love stories set in the South around the time of the Civil War. Each is written by a different author. I chose to read this book because I wanted to read Tamera Alexander’s story about Savannah Darby, To Mend a Dream. Tamera’s readers met Savannah in Tamera’s most recent release, To Win Her Favor.

I loved learning what became of Savannah. Tamera came up with an ending to her story that I never would have anticipated but felt was just right.

I also enjoyed the opportunity to read stories by authors whose books I haven’t yet had the chance to read. The stories were short but gave me a taste of the writers’ styles. Shelley Gray’s story, An Outlaw’s Heart, set in Texas, felt more like a western than a southern love story, but I liked it anyway. Shelley did a great job of introducing the characters and their issues quickly and making me believe that everything really could be resolved so nicely in so few pages, the challenge of the short story.

I received a complimentary copy of Among the Fair Magnolias from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for this honest review. If you prefer quick reads that will make you smile, you will like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment