Saturday, May 2, 2015

Book Review: "The No More Excuses Diet"

The No More Excuses Diet by Maria Kang isn’t a diet. It’s a healthy lifestyle. If you are ready to get serious about exercising and eating right, this book is for you. The book is divided into four sections: an introduction, S.P.E.E.D., S.T.R.I.V.E., and S.C.O.R.E.

S.P.E.E.D. is the bulk of the book—this is where Maria teaches readers how to discover their motivation, set goals, and make a plan for reaching them. She provides a lot of good information here about how our bodies work, the relationship between healthy food choices and exercise, macronutrients, different kinds of exercise and the importance of each, and more. I’m already doing most of the things she recommends, but the information she provided told me how I can improve. I didn’t know it’s important to change up your fitness routine every three weeks or so because your body adapts and needs new challenges. I also didn’t understand the benefits of stretching. I greatly appreciated the variety of strength training exercises she illustrates; this is where I tend to be inconsistent because I get tired of doing the same thing. Now I can mix it up. No more excuse!

S.T.R.I.V.E. is about analyzing how you’re doing, making adjustments that work for you, and conquering the excuses that keep you from achieving your goals. S.C.O.R.E. is a celebration, rest, and evaluation as you consider what you’ve accomplished and look toward what you want to do next. This is where Maria emphasizes again that this is a new lifestyle, not a short-term fix.

I found a lot of encouragement and helpful information in this book. I’ll be using it often as a reference. I’ll even be applying some of the principles toward reaching other kinds of goals. Maria's system is just so practical, logical, and adaptable. Whatever your fitness level, if you want to improve, you’ll benefit from reading this book. I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment