Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Book Review: "The Wood's Edge"

The Wood’s Edge is a complex story spanning 19 years of Colonial American history in the New York frontier. It was one of those rare books I became so fascinated by that my husband heard all kinds of facts I discovered inside as I read. The story itself was engrossing, but it was the history, the Oneida people, who fascinated me. I’m glad they caught Author Lori Benton’s attention, too. Her story is most definitely worth reading.

The Wood’s Edge is a switched-at-birth story. When Major Reginald Aubrey discovers that his newborn son has died in the arms of his sleeping wife, he fears for her health and sanity. Taking the child from the room, he discovers another new mother, a white woman recovered from Indian captivity and being held at the Fort where he is stationed. The woman has twin sons, one who has pale skin like hers. As she sleeps, he switches his child for that one.

That’s when the nightmares of two men begin.

But Creator God has a good plan for both families, a plan that involves an orphaned girl, who, unknown to her adoptive family, will grow up knowing both of the Indian woman’s sons, one as a brother and one as a friend.

Fans of American history just before the Revolutionary War will find this story intriguing. Those who love stories that show how God can work in the lives of individuals, families, and communities will enjoy this book as well. I thank Waterbrook Press for sending me a complimentary copy in exchange for this review. I’m watching for the sequel to come in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment