Thursday, April 2, 2015

Book Review: "The Hesitant Heiress"

The cover is so pretty I would have been terribly disappointed had I not loved the book! But The Hesitant Heiress, Book One of The Everstone Chronicles, was all I’d hoped it would be. Set in Boston and Maine (with connections to California and Washington) in the late 1800’s, The Hesitant Heiress reminded me of some of my favorite classics (Wives and Daughters and Jane Eyre in particular), yet this story was unique—and totally captivating.

 Amaryllis Brigham had loved her life on her father’s horse farm on Whidbey Island, Washington until her mother drowned in a tragic accident and her father abandoned her to a series of boarding schools. Eleven years later, Amaryllis is forced to discontinue her education and move in with her aunt, Claudine Abernathy. All Amaryllis wants to do with her life is return to Whidbey Island and open a music school. But when her aunt informs her that her mother’s parents, whom she’d never even met, have named her heir of their sizable estate on one condition, that she marry within the year, her reclusive lifestyle comes to an end.

To complicate matters, the son of the man she holds responsible for destroying all her plans seems to be playing games with her heart. Amaryllis is determined to avoid Nathan Everstone. Unfortunately, her avoidance makes him all the more determined to win her over. Her aunt and only friends seem to be taking Nathan’s side.

As I read this book, I decided Amaryllis must be one of the densest heroines ever, but it was her reasoning and Nathan’s response to it that made the story so fun to read. When it took a dangerous turn and the most unlikely hero showed up to play a surprise role, I was hooked. Author Dawn Crandall has become one of my favorites, just that quickly. I’m already engrossed in her second book.

I received a complimentary copy from the author in exchange for this review. I recommend this book!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reviewing and loving The Hesitant Heiress, Janet! :) I hope you're enjoying The Bound Heart!

    ReplyDelete