Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Book Review: "Where Rivers Part"

Where Rivers Part is the story of a corporate scandal, a community crisis, and the 33-year-old doctor caught up in it all. Dr. Juliet Ryan chose a career in food safety because she wanted to protect people. And though her decision to work as an executive at a bottled water company aggravates her father, Juliet believes she’s in a position that will allow her to do the most good.

When small children and elderly adults start getting sick, however, Juliet finds herself in a precarious place. She must uncover the truth to protect herself and others who are innocent. She must find someone she can trust.

Juliet’s story started slowly. It was between pages 80 and 120 that it started to pick up speed. Until that point, I was frustrated with Juliet, an angry young woman making unwise decisions based on emotion instead of on fact. I wanted to respect her, but she was just so gullible. I became sympathetic, though, as her circumstances grew worse and then worse. She got herself into such a pickle, there wasn’t much hope she would find a way out. Naturally this held my attention through the second two-thirds of the book.

This is author Kellie Coates Gilbert’s third novel and the first of hers I’ve read. According to her bio, Gilbert writes “emotionally charged stories about women in life-changing circumstances.” That phrase describes Juliet well. I liked the San Antonio setting of Where Rivers Part and appreciated the author’s notes about that city at the end of the book. I was intrigued by the food safety issue. I thank Revell for sending me a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment