Thursday, February 19, 2015

Book Review: "Life with a Capital L"

The last paragraph on the back of Matt Heard’s new book, Life with a Capital L, says, “Christ promised we could ‘live life to the full.’ He didn’t just mean eventually. Life with a Capital L is the Life you are longing for. Now.” And in this book, Heard helps readers understand how much God loves them, what He really longs for, what He provides for them as a result, and how they can enjoy living this Capital L Life.

I recommend this book.

I absolutely loved Part 1: Reclaiming Our Humanity. Then I struggled a bit through the first two chapters of Part 2: Ten Experiences of Life with a Capital L. In fact, I was tempted to give up on the book after reading them. These two chapters seemed to center on us – without God. I feared Heard was saying that God had done His part, now it was up to us. He wasn’t saying that at all. I’m glad I kept reading.

The chapters on Beauty and Story and Worship and Love and Time and Brokenness were amazing. Heard explains each of these clearly, using quotes from well-known authors and his own Life experiences. As I read each chapter in sequences, I saw that Life with a Capital L tells the gospel story of God redeeming and restoring creation, taking readers from the Garden of Eden to Heaven – and helping them understand how God’s work throughout history can impact their Lives right now.

If you struggle to see the Gospel for the good news that it is, you need to read this book. I thank Waterbrook Multnomah for sending me a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment