Thursday, November 13, 2014

Book Review: "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"

This book, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, has been on my to-read list for a very long time, so I was really excited when Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers offered me a complimentary copy of the newly released version in exchange for an honest review. I think I put off reading it because I wasn’t sure what to expect from it. I had heard high recommendations, but I was also feeling kind of tired of the whole Mary and Martha thing. I was afraid the book would be more of the same.

But it wasn’t. This book is full of fresh insights into the lives of Mary and Martha, their relationship with Jesus, their place in history. It’s also full of practical wisdom that all women, whether they consider themselves more like Mary or Martha, will be able to apply to their lives. Joanna Weaver teaches, in an easy-to-understand way, the path to the balance we all need.

On page 5, she tells us (about Mary and Martha), “That is not to say one is right and one is wrong. We are all different, and that is just as God made us to be. Each gifting and personality has its own strengths and weaknesses, its glories and temptations.” You see? No Martha-bashing here. Weaver shows us the strengths and weaknesses, glories and temptations of both women, helps us to identify these in our lives, and teaches us how to let Jesus bring out our best. (There’s even a chart on pages 182-3 to help us see which way we may be leaning.)

I read this book at just the right time and will be  praying and waiting and watching for some opportunities to make some adjustments with the loving and gentle guidance of my Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. If you also are feeling as if the balance may be off in your life, I recommend this book to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment