Friday, October 3, 2014

Book Review: "Prescription for Life"

If you are concerned about your health . . .

If you want to stay as young as you can be physiologically (even as you age chronologically) . . .

If you want to do what is in your power to maximize your lifespan . . .

If you want to avoid some of the world’s most common, yet most dreaded, diseases . . .

You will want to read Richard Furman’s book, Prescription for Life.

The three strategies he offers are pretty basic: eat healthy foods, maintain a healthy weight, exercise. But the information that he packs into the book about these strategies and about how our bodies work is quite useful. A lot of the information in the book was new to me, and I've been paying attention to these strategies since my college days.

After those three sections (the first 2/3 of the book), when Furman started delving into specific diseases and all the studies done that show why his prescribed strategies can help us avoid them, I felt the book started to get a touch repetitious. I realized, however, that Furman just really, really, really believes that the diet and exercise program he prescribes will help his readers to live long and healthy lives—unless they get eaten by a lion or something like that. He has packed all the data he can into this book to convince his readers of this, too. He knows he’s asking a lot of the average reader, therefore he must provide ample evidence in order to talk his readers into committing to his plan.

I will have to think long and hard about actually giving up all cheese. But I will remember the information gleaned from this book and apply quite a bit of it to my life. I do want to be healthy and to avoid, if at all possible, the suffering that comes with heart attacks, strokes, cancer, and dementia. If you feel the same way about your life, I recommend this book to you.

I received a complimentary copy of Prescription for Life from Revell in exchange for this honest review. I am thankful I had the opportunity to read this helpful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment