Friday, October 10, 2014

Book Review: "Abraham"

When I was little, I read a lot of biographies. Most, naturally, ended with an account of the person's death. I always cried. My poor parents . . . I must have drove them crazy. But I think it's one sign of a gifted writer, not just a tender heart, to be able to bring someone to life through a book in such a way.

This is what Charles Swindoll has accomplished through his book, Abraham. He has taken the familiar Bible stories about this incredible patriarch and brought the man to life--to the point that when I read about his death, I actually wanted to cry, though I've known these stories since childhood.

Swindoll doesn't just record a biography, though. While it's true that each chapter records an event from or observation about Abraham's life, each also has a practical life application for today's reader. Abraham lived. His story is included in our Bibles to teach us about the choices we make and about the God we serve and about His work in our lives. We may have existed on this planet millenniums apart from each other, but Swindoll's book shows us that our lives may not be so different after all. Some aspects are dramatically different, but principles for living are much the same.

I thank Tyndale House Publishers for sending me a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for this honest review. I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading biographies and studying God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment