Thursday, September 11, 2014

Book Review: "Speak"

I chose to read Speak because of its description:

Speak, by popular blogger Nish Weiseth, is a book about the power of telling our own stories and hearing those of others to change hearts, build bridges, advocate for good, make disciples with grace, and proclaim God’s kingdom on Earth today.

This premise is beautiful. I believe it. I wanted to learn more about it.

But I was disappointed in the book. For me, it ran kind of hot and cold. There were three chapters that I absolutely loved. One of these even had me tearing up a bit. The other five mostly left me scratching my head, trying to understand what the words I was reading had to do with the theme of the book. There was a disconnect somewhere between the stories the author told and the message she was trying to convey.

Each chapter ended with a blog post which included some of the comments that post actually received when published on-line. These posts, all by different bloggers, were supposed to illustrate the author’s point, but I found them more distracting than helpful. They contained thought-provoking reading but sent my thoughts away from the message of the book.

The final chapter of the book, however, was my favorite. In this one, the author encourages readers to faithfully live whatever life stories they’ve been given. She says, “Though you may be living what seems like an ordinary life, faithfully doing what God has placed in front of you to do means you are actually living an extraordinary life.” I appreciated those words.

I thank Zondervan Publishers for sending me a complimentary eCopy of this book through the BookLook Blogger program in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment