Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Book Review: "Mark of Distinction"

My mom tells me she doesn’t like to read romance novels because she always knows how they are going to end. In other words, she always knows which two people are going to get together by the end.

That is not true of the Price of Privilege Trilogy, a retro-gothic, historical, Christian fiction mystery/romance. I just finished reading the second book in this series, Mark of Distinction. Throughout this book, Julia has three suitors. And, technically, she’s married to one of them! Though a change in identity has, at least temporarily, taken care of that. As Lord Pierson’s daughter, the Emerald Heiress, instead of Julia Elliston, orphaned daughter of a controversial atheist, Julia has a whole new world of challenges to overcome in this second book.
Further, she still has no idea who is trying to help her and who is using her for his own ends. Readers have no idea either, and that’s what makes this series so brilliant.

The ending to Mark of Distinction perplexed me, though. Everything seemed to resolve itself just a little too quickly, too easily, too perfectly. If this were the end to the series, which it actually could be—except that I know it’s not, I would be dissatisfied. Instead, I’ll just have to wait to see which cornered miscreant comes out swinging in protest when the final book comes out next Spring.

I earned my copy of this book through the Tyndale Summer Reading program. I am reviewing it for credit toward another book.

No comments:

Post a Comment