Tuesday, June 3, 2014

For the Love of Summer Reading

Did you know that Tyndale House Publishers has a Summer reading program? Truthfully, it’s one of the reasons I’m launching this blog. It’s not the only reason, but it’s the one that convinced me to move forward with the idea.

Jay-Niles Memorial Library: One of my favorites!
I love to read! And I love Summer reading programs. I was heartbroken as a kid when the library told me I was too old to participate anymore. When I had kids of my own, signing them up for the Summer reading program was a priority every year. If we happened to live somewhere that didn’t have a Summer reading program, I made one up complete with a chart, stickers, and prizes. And I made let my kids participate clear through high school.

Now they’re all grown up, but Tyndale House Publishers has a Summer reading program for grown-ups. For every five books read and reviewed, readers get to choose a new, free book. (Who needs charts and stickers when one can read for books?!) This is the third year I’ve played.

Last year, though, I felt like book reviews totally dominated my blog over the summer months. That caused me some personal stress. I write devotionals to encourage my readers to grow in God’s Presence anywhere. Jesus loves us and wants us to learn to live in His Presence. The books I read often encourage us in this, so the occasional review is a good thing. But I want devotional thoughts to be the emphasis of Wildflower Faith.

So I’m moving my book reviews to this new space. If you follow me on Twitter or Google+ or Facebook, you’ll still see announcements of new reviews just like you do when I post at Wildflower Faith. You may not even realize you’ve clicked to a different blog. If you’ve just found me for the first time on-line, my sidebar and connect page offer ways for you to get these notifications, too. If you don’t see your favorite, please be patient. This new blog is a work-in-progress.

Tune in tomorrow when I’ll post this blog’s first review! I can’t wait to start sharing thoughts about the books I’ve read with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment