Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Book Review: A Table by the Window

I was totally captivated by A Table by the Window right up to the moment when I realized it wasn’t going to end.

Then I was devastated. Somebody should have given me a heads up.

But then I might not have read the book, and I’m glad I read the book—even if I do have to wait for the sequel to find out how the story ends.

A Table by the Window is the story of Juliette, the youngest of five siblings whose parents met on an airplane while emigrating to America, one from France and one from Italy. Juliette’s grandmother, a pastry chef, has just passed away, and Juliette has inherited a mystery. As she follows clues to solve it, she finds herself solving the mysteries of her own life, discovering who she is and what she wants aside from being the youngest adult member of a restaurant dynasty and meeting that flamboyant family's expectations.

As a bonus to a well-told story, most chapters end with recipes for dishes that Juliette either eats or cooks over the course of the book. I enjoyed reading through the recipes, whose instructions include a touch of humor, but I don’t think I’m skilled enough to try many of them. Most included ingredients I’d never heard of. I was surprised to learn, however, that the sugar cookies I bake every Christmas are Bavarian. Their recipe is in this book. It is one my family knows well.

The story itself  is a perfect read for a quiet afternoon. I will be watching for the sequel. I recommend the book to you.

Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers sent me a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment