Sunday, June 22, 2014

Book Review: Heart of the Country

First, I watched the movie.

It was sweet, but it left me with a lot of questions. It seemed to me there was something really significant just under the surface, but I couldn’t quite grasp whatever it was.

So I read the book.

Within just a few pages, I started finding answers to my questions and figuring it all out. By the end of the book, I felt like I’d wrapped myself up in a warm, fuzzy blanket. I was content with this story.

Heart of the Country by Rene Gutteridge and John Ward is the story of two prodigals who happen to marry each other while running away from their feelings about circumstances at home. Thankfully, when their fairy tale life meets harsh reality, tempting them to run from each other, those families do what families are meant to do. They help the prodigals find their way safely home.

The characters in this book are amazing. Each must struggle with deep emotions and battle his or her own set of issues. They learn, they grow, they make mistakes and say words they regret. But when it really matters, they come through for one another, their imperfect love revealing many aspects of the perfect, sacrificial, merciful, protecting, graceful, abiding love of God.

I am happy to recommend Heart of the Country to you!


No one sent me this book to review. I got my own copy. I am choosing to review it for credit in Tyndale’s Summer Reading Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment