Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: A Noble Groom

Jody Hedlund’s most recent novel opens with a woman finding her husband murdered only to be told by her community that she’ll have to marry again—just as soon as they can import a groom from their home country. At the same time, a baron’s son sits in his father’s dungeon in Germany praying he won’t be beheaded for a crime he didn’t commit.

And from this intense beginning, things only get worse.

Annalisa Werner is the ever popular widow whose land is being threatened by a powerful landowner. Carl Richards is the man who longs to be her hero, but finds himself restrained by his past. And Gretchen, my personal favorite, is the precious little girl who only wants a new daddy and to hear another story by the Brothers Grimm.

I’m looking forward to the next story by Jody Hedlund.

Hedlund’s equal strengths are her storytelling ability and historical presentation. I was especially fascinated by this particular setting in time because it sheds some light on why so many German people came to America in the mid-1800’s: the time my Bavarian ancestors came. I’d never thought to ask why, but now, maybe I know. And I learned through the perils of a fictional group of German settlers. Hedlund’s book provided a story to enjoy with a history lesson of personal significance. I’m happy to recommend it to you.

Bethany House Publishers sent a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review.
BlogSign

No comments:

Post a Comment