Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Book Review: What's Your Mark?

What’s Your Mark? compiled by professional photographer Jeremy Cowart is an inspirational gift book, a work of art to encourage those who view its pages. Inside, the 16 chapters of the Gospel of Mark taken from the New International Version are interspersed with the stories of 16 people who are making a difference in our world, people who are making a mark. A question for the reader follows each of these stories, helping the reader to brainstorm similar ways to make a mark. The message is clear: followers of Jesus follow His example, loving other people in His name however they can. What’s Your Mark? presents a great variety of ways.

Some of the people in the book were familiar to me, but how they are making a mark right now was fairly new information. I found that interesting. Others, I’d heard of, but didn’t know their story. Some were introduced to me through this book. Quotes from Donald Collins were especially inspirational to me, personally. Katie Davis’s story prompted me to go right out and find her book at the library.

Reading the book on an eReader, I’m not sure I was able to get the most out of the photography. Each biographical entry includes a picture of its subject holding a picture representing what he or she does. On my eReader, the pictures were too small to clearly see. To get the most out of this book, I’d recommend getting the real book one can hold. Still, I greatly enjoyed reading the Gospel of Mark presented in this unique way with stories of people who are following Jesus’ lead. I thank Thomas Nelson Publishers for sending a complimentary copy for this honest review.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment