Thursday, February 14, 2013

Book Review: Wings of Glass

Wings of Glass is a powerful story, uniquely written as a letter from a mother to her infant son. In this letter, Penny tells the story of her troubled marriage, of her son’s father. She tells her son he has a right and a need to know. She prays he’ll learn to rely on God as she did, but without repeating all the mistakes his parents made.

Desperate to leave her troubled childhood behind, Penny elopes with the first man who shows any interest in her and finds herself the victim of spousal abuse. When an accident at work leaves her husband blind, however, Penny is able to escape her isolated life as she goes out in search of work and food. This search leads her to the first true friends she’s ever known—two women whose lives have also been touched by domestic abuse. They urge Penny to leave her husband before her baby comes, before her husband loses control and causes someone permanent harm.

Throughout the story, Penny wrestles with issues of who to trust and how to be faithful to God and what justifies the end of a marriage. She also struggles with her own feelings of self-worth, co-dependency, and personal responsibility. Through Penny’s thoughts, the book explores the issue of domestic abuse from many viewpoints. But overall, it stresses God’s great love for a daughter who is suffering and His gentle way of leading her right where she needs to be.

I can’t say I enjoyed the story because it’s filled with pain. I was glad for the opportunity to read it, though. The author, Gina Holmes, drew me right into Penny’s life and made me care for her and her friends. Yes, I know they’re fictional characters, but too many women like these really do exist. I pray they’ll find the strength and joy that Penny eventually did.

Tyndale House Publishers sent a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review. I thank them, and I recommend the book to you.
BlogSign

No comments:

Post a Comment