Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book Review: Arms of Love

Something dark and sinister from Adam’s past is holding him in bondage to anger and fear. Not even Adam knows what it is, but his girlfriend’s mother knows it’s there. On her deathbed, she makes him promise not to marry Lena until he finds freedom from it.

Adam decides to keep his promise by letting Lena go altogether and enlisting in the new country’s army, though to fight goes against his Amish beliefs. Before he can act, however, he has many challenges to face.

I enjoyed this highly unpredictable story that somehow managed to end the way I’d hoped it would for everyone involved.

The first question in the Reading Group Guide at the end of the book is: “What similarities and differences did you find between the colonial culture of the Amish and the current renditions of the Amish?” I had noticed so many throughout the book! I’m curious now to know how these came about. I appreciated this story of these people in this early American setting.

In addition to the Reading Group Guide, Arms of Love also includes a four week Bible study written by the author.

To fans of Amish fiction, I recommend this book. I thank Thomas Nelson Publishers for sending a complimentary copy for this honest review.
BlogSign

No comments:

Post a Comment