Sunday, November 20, 2011

Book Review: Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks

Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks: Confessions of April Grace by K.D. McCrite is a really cute story for late-elementary-age girls. If you have a young daughter, I recommend this book, the second in a series, to her and to you. (I still remember loving it at that age when my mom read the books I was reading!)

April Grace is an 11-year-old girl entering her first semester of junior high. The story is set in the 80’s. (Does that make it an historical novel?! Oh, my! Can't be.) Yet April Grace, her family, and her community reminded me of the Walton’s and their little town. So picture Elizabeth in 80’s attire, and you know what April Grace is like. (She even has the red hair!)

Along with the normal challenges of junior high, April Grace must deal with unwanted house guests who take her older sister’s room forcing her sister to move into hers, her mom’s surprise and difficult pregnancy, and her placement under protest in the church’s Christmas play. Life is hard for this spunky, little girl. And she very honestly shares all of her feelings!

Yet she survives and learns many valuable life lessons along the way. Themes regarding family, community, compassion, self-esteem, forgiveness, and living out one’s faith are subtly woven throughout this fun story.

I thank Thomas Nelson Publishers for sending a complimentary eCopy for my honest review.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment