Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Book Review: Night Night Blessings

I had the same concerns with Night Night Blessings as I did with the children’s book I reviewed yesterday. Picture books just don’t convert to eBooks very well. In this case, the text that went with the pictures didn’t even land on the same page. I can’t imagine how confusing that would be for a child. It’s crucial that the words and pictures go together.

That thought aside, the illustrations in Night Night Blessings are adorable. I especially liked the little critters scattered randomly throughout. As for the story, it’s a bedtime poem-prayer. The child in the pictures is thanking God for every part of a routine day from pancakes for breakfast, to time with friends and family, to bathtub fun, to God’s love, presence, and care.

The rhyme itself didn’t come naturally. I often had to think about it and work it out. This would be a challenge for parents trying to read the story aloud to active toddlers. Parents might want to practice it first. I also wasn’t sure about the child’s age. One moment she’s playing leap frog and kick ball with friends like an elementary age child would do. The next she’s building with blocks like a preschooler.

If I were going to invest $10 in a book for my child’s library, I would probably choose a different one. Children may love the pictures, but parents will get their tongues tied trying to read the words in rhythm.

Tommy Nelson Publishers sent a complimentary eCopy of this book for my review.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment