Thursday, July 14, 2011

Book Review: When the Soul Mends

Oh, dear! I just remembered that I never got around to reviewing the third and final book in Cindy Woodsmall’s Sisters of the Quilt series! I guess it’s time to get around to that. As I’ve mentioned before, I purchased this series myself after a friend loaned me the first book to read.

When the Soul Mends brings Hannah’s story back to the beginning. She grew up in an Amish home. She started a new life in an Englisch community. Now a family emergency involving her sister’s mental health is calling her home in spite of the fact that she is no longer welcome there. Hannah finds herself struggling to bring her two worlds together, striving to save her sister and hoping to restore relationship with her stubborn father. Ultimately she’ll have to choose which community to live in, which man to marry, and which practice of faith to follow.

Like the first two books, this one is intense and emotional. I saw the ending coming from a distance, but wasn’t sure I wanted to accept it. The author had to convince me that Hannah’s choices for herself were best—and she skillfully did so. I was happy for Hannah when I closed the book at last.

If you enjoy stories about people learning to communicate, care for each other, and get along in spite of differences, I recommend the Sisters of the Quilt series to you.
BlogSign

No comments:

Post a Comment