Friday, May 20, 2011

Book Review: The Gospel for Real Life

The Gospel for Real Life is the third Jerry Bridges book I’ve read. I wasn't disappointed in this one either! In it, Bridges explains all the big, scary words of theology (propitiation, expiation, redemption, sanctification, and so on) in the order they take place along the Christian journey and in terms the average reader can easily understand. He explains that these aren’t words we have to know and understand in order to be Christians. (All you need to know is that God loves you, but your sin separates you from Him. He sent Jesus to die on the cross for your sins, so He could restore relationship with you. If you tell God you are sorry for your sins and receive Jesus as Your Savior, you are a Christian. Welcome to the family of God!) Understanding the big words, however, helps us know and appreciate more fully all that Christ has done and is doing for us every day. Bridges goal is to help his readers appreciate and experience “The unsearchable riches of Christ” that come from knowing the Gospel (a big word that means, "Good News").

Bridges uses both Scripture and personal experience stories to help readers understand and apply the concepts of each chapter. There are sixteen in all, with an 8-week study guide at the back of the book. The Gospel for Real Life would be an excellent text for a small group or a growing Christians’ Sunday school class. I enjoyed reading it on my own as well. I’m happy to recommend this book.
Photobucket

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment