Monday, April 11, 2011

Book Review: The Final Summit

Synopsis: David Ponder is whisked away by the archangel Gabriel to lead a summit of historical travelers. Their challenge is to answer the question, “What does humanity need to do, individually and collectively, to restore itself to the pathway toward successful civilization?” They have five tries to find the correct two-word answer or humanity is doomed.

What I loved about this book: a) It’s full of practical wisdom—like Proverbs. Andrews explores the importance of developing several significant virtues in our lives. I would list them and offer quotes I loved, but to do so I’d spoil the suspense of the story. b) Andrews brings many historical characters to life, allowing them to speak, telling their own stories and lessons they learned through their own experiences. Again, I’d love to say more, but I’d spoil the suspense. c) The suspense was a ton of fun! It was hard not to peek ahead to see which character would speak next or what the next two-word attempt to answer the question might be. I enjoyed reading this book.

What disappointed me: This is risky. I don’t want to give anything away. But the correct answer, though good, was a disappointment. Everything Andrews said people need to do is wise and good, but the answer must fall under the umbrella of Christ to be correct. Humanity can’t save itself. People must humbly submit to Christ. They must receive Christ as Savior. Then His Spirit can develop those significant virtues in their lives and lead them to do something worthwhile for the Kingdom. Though I loved the book and found value in reading it and recommend it for its practical wisdom and will read it again, I felt the ending fell just short of teaching Truth.

Thank you, Thomas Nelson Publishers, for sending The Final Summit for my review.
BlogSign

No comments:

Post a Comment