Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Book Review: 90 Days of God's Goodness

I’m so thankful I chose this book from Waterbrook Multnomah Publisher’s Blogging for Books program. I almost didn’t. I’ve been reading a lot of devotionals lately. But I’ve read Randy Alcorn’s novel, Safely Home, and was curious about his non-fiction work. He didn’t disappoint me. In fact, he encouraged me—a lot! This is a book I will read more than once.

90 Days of God’s Goodness deals with the question, “If God is good, why do pain and suffering exist?” Alcorn says we find answers by sitting in God’s Presence, focusing on Who He Is. In other words, instead of concentrating on the pain and suffering, we trust God in our circumstances because we know He is good.

Each devotional is about three pages long, begins with a passage of Scripture (not just a verse or two), continues with Alcorn’s thoughts on what that passage teaches us about God and how He works, and closes with a prayer. In the introduction, Alcorn invites readers to allow his prayers to prompt their own. His prayers do this effectively.

90 Days of God’s Goodness is full of wisdom and comfort. I recognized some themes from the novel, Safely Home. I suspect these themes are found in other books by Alcorn, too. If you’re looking for encouragement in struggles and assurance of God’s love, both firmly grounded in His Word, I recommend this book to you.
BlogSign

No comments:

Post a Comment