Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book Review: A Trail of Ink

A Trail of Ink: The third chronicle of Hugh de Singleton, surgeon by Mel Starr was quite unique. It took me a while to read the language comfortably as the author wrote in first person in the Old English language of the day. A glossary in the front of the book helped with this, and once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed the book.

Hugh de Singleton reminded me of Sherlock Holmes in an earlier time period. A bailiff and doctor, he also solves crimes when necessary. In this case, he’s trying to discover who stole his friend and mentor’s collection of valuable books. At the same time, he’s courting Kate and fending off assaults from a competitor for her heart.

Many aspects of medieval history touched on in this book were interesting. Books were valuable because they had to be hand-copied. Scholars traded what they had in order to make copies for themselves. If you ordered one from a bookseller, he found someone to make a copy for you and you might have to wait three months for it! The legal process was complex and unmerciful. The courtship process was amazingly simple, except for the dowry. I got a kick out of reading about it.

Fans of Sherlock Holmes mysteries and medieval history will enjoy this book. I thank the Litfuse Publicity Group for sending a complimentary copy for my review.
Photobucket

To visit the Litfuse Publicity Group Blog Tour for this book and learn how to enter a fun contest, please click here. To purchase the book, click on its picture, above.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book too. Can't wait to get my hands on his other books! :O)

    ReplyDelete