Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review: Lady in Waiting

Two books in one! I loved this novel. Lady in Waiting is the stories of two women from different times who, through mysterious circumstances, come to share the same ring. The first woman is a contemporary antique dealer living in Manhattan, waiting to see if her suddenly-in-trouble marriage will survive. The second is Lady Jane Grey, a young woman who really lived, who reigned as Queen of England for nine days. Her story has intrigued me since I first heard of her, and I loved the way Susan Meissner portrayed her, telling her story through the eyes of her fictional servant, Lucy, and giving a victim of tragic circumstances much dignity.

My favorite line from the book is found on p. 238:
“Faith to Jane was not something to be bargained with or leveraged. It was to be as subtle and unstoppable as the beating of your own heart.”
The theme of the book is choices and how much power we all have over our own. Jane’s faith was one of three significant choices she made in her short life. I appreciated the way Meissner used Jane’s story to show that even when our choices are severely limited, we still are able to choose what really matters in the end.

Thank you, Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers, for sending this book for my review. I am sure I will read it again!
BlogSign

No comments:

Post a Comment