Sunday, December 12, 2010

Book Review: Flight of Shadows

As I read Flight of Shadows, I had to ask, “What’s the purpose of a book?” Do I read to be entertained, to learn, to provoke thought? Flight of Shadows plunges the reader into darkness and evil from the very first page and leaves that reader there, absorbing horror and hopelessness.

That’s not where I want to be when I read.

And so, I almost gave up on this book, something I very rarely do. Before I did however, I turned to the back of the book, another thing I rarely do. My son thoroughly enjoyed Sigmund Brouwer’s books for kids a few years back; I wanted to give this book for grown-ups a fair review—but I didn’t want to let it leave me among the sad and cynical.

Instead of finding the end of the story, though, I found a letter from the author telling why he wrote such a book. He explains how he drew from history to show a possible future based on current scientific and political events. In the book he is speculating on where society’s current direction can lead us all if people don’t examine their choices more carefully. He’s reminding us to learn from history, so history won’t repeat itself.

That intrigued me. I decided to finish the book.

If you enjoy books that examine society and make you think, if you like science and political fiction, you may want to read this book. Remember, however, that you’ll have to wade through a lot of darkness and evil, horror and disturbing images in order to discover what the author is trying to say. It may not be a journey that you really want to take. Proceed with caution. Reader beware.
BlogSign

Thank you, Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers, for sending this book for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment