Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Review: Immanuel's Veins

There are so many things I’d like to say about Ted Dekker’s latest book, Immanuel’s Veins. But I can’t. I’d just give everything away. And you wouldn’t appreciate that from me.

You see, the whole book carries quite the enticing mystery along with its adventure. While you may suspect what kind of enemy you’re dealing with early on, Dekker doesn’t verify it until more than halfway through the book. Even then, he never, ever, even once uses the name. So if I say much at all, you can see how I’d just risk telling you everything.

I will say this: For reasons I won’t go into right now, I think guys will like this book. In some ways, it may be a triumph on their behalf. It’s a great reversal they’ll appreciate.

For me, though, the book was just a bit, well, a lot, too over-the-top gruesome for me. I understood that Dekker was trying to contrast good and evil and to show the truth of just how evil evil is. But there wasn’t much of the contrasting good, and what was there was always being tempted to go the other way. At one point, I even wondered if Dekker was planning to turn everything upside-down to show that everything was the opposite of what it seemed. I won’t tell you what came of that. You’ll have to read the book yourself—if you’re curious enough to endure its darkness.

I did love the last three pages. It was also fun to find, as one often does in Dekker’s books, allusions to familiar characters from the Circle series. If you’ve enjoyed Dekker’s most recent books (which lean more heavily on the gory, disturbing side), you’ll probably like this one, too.
BlogSign

Thank you, Thomas Nelson Publishers, for sending this book for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment