Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book Review: The Boy Who Changed the World

I really enjoyed reading The Boy Who Changed the World, and I think children will like it, too. As a parent, I loved that it wove the biographies of actual people into a simple story with a clear message. People, their connections, and related historical events are clearly identified, yet the book doesn’t read like a history lesson. Rather it’s a fun story with a bit of a mystery (Just who exactly was it who started the butterfly effect to change the world?) and an encouraging, stick-in-your-head moral for kids. Author Andy Andrews knows how to get and keep their attention while leading their thoughts where he wants them to go.

I also loved the artwork by Philip Hurst. Pictures are full of color and texture, with butterflies appearing on almost every page to subtly carry the theme. The illustrations effectively do their job of bringing the story to life on the page.

I hope lots of libraries will make this book available. It’s the kind I would have been drawn to during summer reading programs! But even if they don’t, parents or grandparents can get it for the children they love. It’s a book young kids will choose to read over and over again.
Photobucket

Thank you, Thomas Nelson Publishers, for sending this book for my review!

No comments:

Post a Comment