Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book Review: Anne Bradstreet

I love meeting new, old people through biographies. The story of Anne Bradstreet did not disappoint me. I'd never heard of this early pioneer woman, but her story was intriguing and well-written. Author D.B. Kellogg not only researched her story well, but also wove interesting historical and cultural details into the text naturally. I enjoyed meeting Anne's family and society as I read her story, learning what was important to her, the challenges she faced as a woman in a new land, and what motivated her to write poetry.

Born in England, Bradstreet was one of the first New England colonists. Reluctant to leave her home, she didn't want to stay without her family of origin. Her husband felt it best to migrate, too, so Anne left the life she knew, trusting God to help her and her loved ones settle safely into life in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Anne's story is of a courageous colonist, wife, mother, Puritan, and poet. It's a story of illness and other challenges overcome. It's the story of a woman who admired Queen Elizabeth, modelling some of her stands, while worshipping God and expressing her life through poetry.

Thank you, Thomas Nelson Publishers, for sending this book for my review that I could meet and learn from this extraordinary woman.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment