Monday, March 22, 2010

Book Review: Here Burns My Candle

When an author takes the outline from the first part of the Book of Ruth and sets it in Edinburgh, Scotland during the days of the Jacobite Rising/Rebellion, Here Burns My Candle is the incredible result. When I first started reading the story, I truly wondered how Liz Curtis Higgs could have developed the four chapters of Ruth into a 454 page book. Not only did she manage that, and amazingly well, but Here Burns My Candle is only the first book of three! I can't wait to read the rest of the story—and I already know how it ends!

Having been to Edinburgh, I was fascinated to read an historical novel set there. Higgs brought the city to life. She helped us understand the turmoil of the conflict between England and the Jacobites. She made us care for people on both sides. From the start I was cheering for Elisabeth, then I began to feel sympathy toward Marjory as her changing thoughts were revealed. Supporting characters were real; Higgs takes readers right into both their heads and their hearts.

To add interest, each chapter begins with a relevant, perhaps foreshadowing quote, from a well-known writer. There are a few sketches and maps as well. There's also a reader's guide at the end. Higgs's acknowledgment pages are even clever and interesting! Best of all, the story is well-told and intriguing. Fans of historical Christian fiction, Scottish history, or suspenseful, dramatic stories will enjoy book one in this series.
BlogSign

This book was provided for review by Waterbrook Multnomah.

No comments:

Post a Comment