Thursday, October 29, 2009

Book Review: Finding Purpose Beyond Our Pain

This is one of those rare books that I just want to go out and purchase several copies of to give to people I know. The pages were overflowing with helpful and encouraging information. As I went about my days after reading portions from the book, I found myself, several times, recalling passages to apply them to different circumstances I would face or to share the ideas with friends. Practical information that’s easy to remember—signs of a well-written book.

The authors identify seven struggles all people face: injustice, rejection, loneliness, loss, discipline, failure, and death. They devote four chapters to each, defining the problem, giving examples (both modern and biblical) of people who have dealt with these, and showing how God can use the pain of the struggle to bring spiritual growth and blessing in His time. I especially enjoyed their interpretation of the Bible stories, showing God’s work for good behind the scenes in familiar characters’ lives.

Each four chapter section ends with a summary of the major points (for clarity and quick reference) and questions to help readers prayerfully seek the truth of their situations and apply the concepts to their lives. The authors help readers understand that when they trust God, knowing that there is a purpose to any pain He allows in their lives, they can continue on with anticipation and hope.

Finding Purpose Beyond Our Pain is the collaborative effort of psychiatrists Paul Meier, MD (founder of the Meier Clinics) and David L. Henderson, MD. I had heard of Meier, but never read anything of his before. I wasn’t disappointed. I’m happy to recommend this book.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment