Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book Review: What's Age Got to Do with It?

Robin McGraw was the perfect person to write this book. She enjoys doing research and is passionate about maintaining good health. As she has protected her own, she wants to help other women keep or improve theirs. As a result, the book is full of valuable information.

When I first began reading it, however, I felt a little overwhelmed. Robin shares what she has researched, what she does, and suggestions from the many experts who advise her. As I said, the book is full of information. As a result, if I tried to do everything Robin suggests, I think I’d run out of time, money, and energy in the attempt.

But this isn’t what Robin tells us to do. She reminds the reader several times that she is sharing what she has learned and what works for her. It’s the reader’s responsibility to use the information wisely to meet her unique health needs. In other words, I can choose one or two ideas to try from the categories that concern me to discover on my own what works for me. Robin’s book arms me with the information I need to do this well. Her research gives me a place to start. In some cases, her trial and error experiences may even save me some grief.

I appreciated, too, that it’s not a book about how to look young forever. Robin mentions that, as a mother of adult children of whom she’s proud, she wants to look like their mom, not their sister. But she also wants to look healthy for her age and to be confident about her appearance. If you’re looking for information on caring for your health and appearance at any age, this book may be useful to you.

Robin closes with a beautiful account of her personal, salvation story. Then she reminds us once again why she wrote the book. She wants to help women all over to live long and healthy lives, to be there for their children and grandchildren, and to enjoy watching them grow up, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment